- pulpit ministry/monologue preaching is the centre piece almost everywhere, (If you didn’t hear a “sermon" most would not believe you had been to church!)
- a clear distinction between a clergy class of ministers and the laity is also almost universal. (If the group you are part of doesn’t have some form of “full-time Christian worker” with “credentials” to prove it, your “group” cannot possibly be a church!
– the ownership, or at least the regular use of a large building (with a sign!) in which meetings are convened is considered to be an absolute essential if you are going to “have church”! and
- the regular receiving from the congregants of monetary collections which are used mainly for maintaining the buildings and supporting the “full-time ministers”.
- It is a human relationship, (ruling out bestiality)
- It is a heterosexual relationship, (ruling out sodomy)
- It is a non-incestuous relationship, (ruling out incest)
- It is a non-adulterous relationship, (ruling out adultery)
- It is a marital relationship (ruling out pre, post and extra marital relationships) and
- It is a monogamous relationship, (ruling out polygamy)